Monday 26 March 2007

Week 10: Exams, Exams, and Exams....

Finally the exams are over...!!! Dressed in our batman outfit (Sorry, I meant Subfusc) we went to University of Oxford - Examination Schools for our Hilary term papers. Four days (with a break for some of us) and six exams almost made some people reach the verge of nervous breakdown. Quite contrary to the trends setup from last term (Michaelmas) and the way our mock exams were held, these final term papers were really hard, especially the Financial Management. Oh boy, I still remember those shocked faces coming out of the Examination Schools. Sadly enough, I did not have my camera and time to capture those images. The image across is one taken of the Examination Schools entrance as we are not allowed camera inside.



In short, if I recap my performance then FM is a paper where I did not perform per my expectations. IBGG and Marketing were standard ones and OM was with one or two curve balls our way. We were worried most about Finance-II but that seemed to be the one where I did the best. DEO was the usual with applying frameworks to the case in a single three hour sitting. I sincerely pray for all of us that we get through all the exams without much of difficulty. As of now, we have one assignment each due for Operations Management (On Monday by 12 noon sharp) and Financial Management (On Friday by 12 noon sharp). The picture to the left was taken minutes after our final exam of DEO and we have (From your left) Barry in red bow-tie, Renee, Julie, Anoop, Anubhav, Alex, Myself, Andre, Kate, Emma, Russell, Kevin, Maria and Mike. Look at their smiling faces, as if they have just won the biggest war of their life and to say the least, it was nothing less than a battle.



On one hand we were trying our best to perform our best in the exams and on the other hand, Indian cricket team was losing matches, not realizing that they were carrying the hopes of a billion people to win the ICC World Cup 2007. This world cup has had too many tragic moments with the death of Pakistani Cricket team coach Bob Woolmer being the most shocking one. For a game of cricket, how can a person be sacrificed and that too just because the team he coached was not able to deliver. It's a shame on the cricket community and other big names associated with cricket. Well, to appease my gloominess, I went to the after exam party at the Maxwell's that was amazing. We had a whole load of great time there and people were really going crazy.


Yesterday we celebrated birthday of one of our friend Anubhav who is getting married on fourth of next month in Lucknow, India. I have received his marriage card in hard copy format (We said no one will come if you send the soft copy version and he obliged us with what we asked for) and will be attending his marriage.



About the two assignments, we have completed the Operations Management assignment today in a single sitting stretching for almost nine hours but every single minute we put in was worth it. The assignment has come up really well and I have the responsibility of handing it over at the Examination Schools by 12 noon on March 26, 2007.


At Saïd Business School, The 2007 Skoll World Forum on Social Entrepreneurship is organized by the Skoll Center for Social Entrepreneurship from 27-29 March 2007. It is another big event SBS looks forward to. More details will follow in time to come.


Well barring two assignments due in five days time, the Hilary term is now getting its apt place in my memory book with the honor of being the toughest term of all. Next term my electives are such that I have formal exam for only one subject whereas all the other have practical and formal work assessments. I like this form of assessment better because it gives me a much better understanding of the subject rather than cramming the subject for two days to dump over on my answer sheet during the two hour exam.


And yes, another four days remain before I live for my motherland to be with my beloved parents for a three week long vacation. I am looking forward to it with excitement and vigor. Hopefully will be able to continue with my blog during the vacation and have some different news (Other than books, study, assignment etc) from India.


Good Night and Good Luck!!!

No comments: